Followers

Friday, September 09, 2016

To Eat Or Not To Eat: The Cost of Kenyan Politicians

Of all the revelations that have come out of the inquisitions into the fiasco that accompanied Kenyan authorities’ preparations for the Rio Olympics, perhaps none is as significant as the fact that nearly Sh2.2 million in tax payer money was used to book rooms aboard a cruise ship for use by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

A cruise ship. Sh2.2 million. Let that sink in.

The figure was part of a Sh5 million that was wasted on rooms for politicians and bureaucrats that were left unused while athletes and team officials were in some cases abandoned to fend for themselves. According to sprint coach John Anzrah, who was subsequently expelled from the Games after being caught using an athlete’s accreditation to access the dining area, he and fellow trainers “were taken to a residential three-bedroom house and dumped there by National Olympic Committee of Kenya officials without basic amenities including food.” All the while, cruise ship rooms for the President and five-star hotel accommodations for Parliamentary committee chairmen lay idle.

But enraging as this is, it should not be surprising. Not from a jet-setting President who prefers to watch a Formula One race while his citizens are massacred as happened in November 2014. Not from an administration which in its first month in office was already steeped in scandal over allegations that Deputy President William Ruto had spent Sh100 million in taxpayer money to hire a luxury jet. Not from a government that in 2006 started building a house for the Vice President initially budgeted at Sh179 million, whose cost had ballooned to Sh453 million by 2008 and which five years later apparently required a further Sh100 million in renovations before its first resident could move in. Especially not from a governing coalition that treats State House and its accoutrements as private property.

The flagrant abuse of public resources for the private comfort of politicians knows no limits. From the obscene wages we pay Members of Parliament to the even more obscene “retirement benefits” we are forced to fork out for politicians who may or may not have “retired”, Kenya has become a country where mali ya umma (public property) has been converted into mali ya kuuma (property for nibbling).

Even in death, politicians continue to take a chunk out of us. When visiting to condole with the family of the recently deceased former cabinet minister, William Ole Ntimama, President Kenyatta had no qualms about pledging public funds to offset funeral expenses for a multi-millionaire who had been implicated in corruption and in fanning ethnic violence which claimed the lives of thousands. In July 2008, he was even caught on camera in an unguarded moment apparently admitting responsibility for the killings of 600-1000 people and inviting then Chepalungu MP (now Bomet Governor) Isaac Ruto to "bring his people" for an all-out battle over the Mau Forest.

Similarly, the state funeral for former First Lady, Lucy Kibaki, illustrated just how cavalier the government is with our money. It came despite the fact that her husband, in his last year in office, had already awarded himself and his predecessor, Daniel Arap Moi, tens of millions of shillings in retirement benefits which, as of November last year, continued to be paid in violation of a court order declaring them unconstitutional.

As First Lady, a designation which appears nowhere in our laws, Mrs Kibaki was herself quietly paid an annual salary of Sh6 million a year, fuss only being kicked up when similar salaries were in 2008 proposed for the wives of then Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka and then Prime Minister Raila Odinga. Till today, it has never been made clear whether Margaret Kenyatta, or indeed any of the wives of the 47 County Governors, draw public salaries.

Even Cabinet Secretaries, who by law are not meant to be politicians, have gotten in on the act. Sports CS Hassan Wario’s antics in Rio aside, they apparently continue to draw a public salary of over Sh1 million a month even after they have been relieved of duty. An unnamed government source reportedly told the Daily Nation that this was “to cushion them from falling prey to enemies of the State”. But former Labour CS, Kazungu Kambi, when asked about whether he was still being paid pointed to what may be the real reason: “I’m a politician remember.”

In May, the immediate former Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission chief, Philip Kinisu declared that over Sh600 billion in public funds was stolen every year. 600 BILLION. If you spent Sh16 million a day, it would take you over a century to spend what the government loses to corruption in one year. Yet as crazy as that figure is, it does not include the many millions we are legally and routinely forced to cough up to keep our politicians and their families in the manner to which they have now become accustomed. All this at the cost of much needed schools, teachers, hospitals, medical equipment, infrastructure and, yes, even accommodation for athletes and their coaches at the Olympics.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pity!!!! If such news is not reason for a country to send its government home - one wonders what is! what it would take the "jubilant citizens of Kenya" to smell the coffee and start thinking right? Maybe when Raila retires?? Some logic!

Joji wanyoike said...

Great

Clarkson L. Coleman said...

��ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY IN NEED OF THE SERVICES OF A PROFESSIONAL HACKER?(CATCHING A CHEATING SPOUSE[Phone Hack], RECOVERY OF LOST FUNDS, CREDIT SCORE UPGRADE, WEBSITE HACK...)
High prolific information and Priviledges comes rare as i would be sharing with you magnificent insight you wish you heard years before now. As it's been understood that what people don't see, they will never know.
When you wonder “which hacking company should I hire, the first aspect that should concern you is quality. Clearly, you want to embark for services that povides swift response, Thanks to our talented and Astonish Hackers , you are rest assured that your expectations will always be met. You’ll be glad to find out that our services Implies precisions and actions.
This post is definitely for those who are willing to turn their lives around for the better, either financial-wise, relationship-wise or businesses.
Welcome to the Global KOS hacking agency where every request on hacking related issues are met within a short period of time.
If your shoe fits in any of the required services below, you will be assigned to a designated professional hacker who is systematically known for operating on a dark web V-link protocol.
The manual Operation of this hackers is to potentially deploy a distinguished hacking techniques to penetrating computers and various type of database system to meet your request.
Penetration of computing systems are achieved using core software tools like Ransomeware, SQL/Keylogger injection. botnet, trojan and DDOS attacks.
Providing value added services to clients as a hacker has been our sustaining goal.
Are you faced with cyber challenges like
��Recovery of lost funds:✅It saddens our mind when client expresses annoyance or dissatisfaction of unethical behaviours of scammers. We have striven to make tenacious efforts to help those who are victims of this flees get off their traumatic feeling of loss. The cyber security technique used to retrieving back the victims stolen funds is the application of a diverse intercall XX breacher software enables you track the data location of a scammer. Extracting every informations on the con database, every requested information required by the Global KOS would be used to tracking every transaction, time and location of the scammer using this systematic courier tracking base method.
�� Hacking into the mobile phone of a cheating spouse.✅ This type of hack helps you track every movement of your cheater as we are bent on helping you gain full remote access into the cheater's mobile phone using a Trojan breach cracking system to penetrate their social media platforms like Facebook, whatsapp, snapchat etc. This spy processing is used via an HDSI folder which synchronizes the target mobile operating system into a clone S-Drive unit.
��Credit Score Upgrade:✅Due to our transformed changes on Equifax tracking , upgrading of credit score are backed by our cyber tech breaching licence, This hacking process drastically generates you an undestructive higher credit score which correlates to a higher level of creditworthiness. The time frame for upgrading a credit score requires eighteen(18) hours
��️ BITCOIN GENERATOR:✅ (Higher job profile). This involves using the ANTPOOL Sysytem drifting a specialized hardware and software implementing tool in slot even-algorithms to incentivize more coins into your wallet which in turn generates more coins exponentially like a dream at specified intervals.
The company is large enough to provide comprehensive range of services such as.
• Email hacks��
• Hacking of websites.��
• Uber free payment hacks.��
• website hack.��
Our strength is based on the ability to help you fix cyber problems by bringing together active cyber hacking professionals in the GlobalkOS to work with.
Contact:
✉️Email: clarksoncoleman(at)gmail • com.
Theglobalkos(at)gmail •com.
©Global KOS™
2030.•√

Palle Fricke Tryllekunstneren said...

If not for the help of anonymousmaskhat@gmail.com my wife would have taken my son away from me but I was quick to access her phone remotely and saw her conversations with her new man and also on how she planned on taking my child along with her.

Charles hall said...

I noticed my Instagram profile was cloned by an Unkown person, the person has been pretending to be me it got me worried though I reported the account so many times but yet instagram didn’t take the account down so I decided to do it my way by going in search of an ethical hacker then I found jeajamhacker@gmail.com this hacker did this job in the space of just 30min and I got access to the account and also I was able to know the person doing this which is my ex wife trying to black mail me but all thanks to jeajamhacker@gmail.com

Shannon Maynard said...

So many hide and seek in so many marriages and relationships so in other for you to find out who has been playing on you between your husband or wife just email darkhatthacker@gmail.com for a very quick results and appreciate me later.

Emily Carpenter said...

My husband stoped taking care of I and his children, he shouts at me when ever I call him or text him, he comes back late when ever he wants to, sleeps out when ever he wants to without informing me so it became too much for me to handle I decided to know why all of this have been happening with the help of darkhatthacker@gmail.com though have been suspecting my husband cheating but I wanted to be sure along side evidence and am glad that with darkhatthacker@gmail.com i got all I wanted including my husband GPS… thank you so much to the people who referred me to this best hacker am so happy

Eric Wilder said...

Thank God for verifiedprohackers@gmail.com it was with the help of this hacker I knew my wife was planning to poison me Though have been in contact with verifiedprohackers@gmail.com for a while now and also this hacker was able to gain access to my wife iPhone 12 Pro max after we gained full control of my spouse phone for over 5 months now just yesterday I got notified right on my phone of a particular text messages my wife deleted and I was able to read her deleted text messages and I read her conversation with the man she has been planning with to kill me so that they can continue there love life without me been an obstacle verifiedprohackers@gmail.com I will never stop appreciating you, you are the best am happy my time, funds and everything was never in vain.

Shane Price said...

Have been out of the state for quite a while and I came back yesterday and decided to do my laundry only for me to see 2 strange boxers though I asked my wife and she said it was mine and I asked her this is way too smaller to be for me and she kept on telling lies saying its mine so I had no choice than you email russiancyberhackers@gmail.com for a quick phone hack from my wife phone, less than an hour I got to read everything on my wife phone including text messages she deleted and I found out that when ever am out of the state my wife brings men to my house just to have fun and when I come she pretends like nothing happened. Thank you so so much russiancyberhackers@gmail.com

Debbie Atkinson Parker said...

You need password into any device that is giving you hard times to get into? Just email jeajamhacker@gmail.com this hacker is the best all over trust me you wont be disappointed, I have used his services countless times and its always 100%

Tashia Carter said...

Indeed hackers are real a very big thank you to spyexpert0@gmail.com for the iPhone 13 hack without trace or notifications your job was to smooth and perfect thank you once again.

Mason Gibson said...

I was Able to recover my stolen gmail account through the help of spyexpert0@gmail.com all thanks to you spyexpert0@gmail.com

Nelson Hunt said...

Its so sad I cant be cheated on lol đŸ˜‚ because darkhatthacker@gmail.com got me covered always. Thanks to you for the phones you have hacked for me starting from 2018 till 2022 you have been an amazing hacker thanks I really appreciate you.

Margaret Walsh said...

Few days after my boyfriend proposed to me I caught him cheating on me with the help of an expert hacker after I hired this hacker to get me full informations of my boyfriend phone and behold after going through his phone I saw a lot that broke my heart, but I thank God and I thank spyexpert0@gmail.com for this phone hack that made me know who the man I was about getting married to is.

Teresa Maria said...

If you need a smart and professional GPS tracker to track your cheating spouse just email russiancyberhackers@gmail.com and thank me later. russiancyberhackers@gmail.com always got my back when it comes to catching my cheating husband red handed, and all of this are always done without trace thank you so much russiancyberhackers@gmail.com for always having my back.

Kate Hartman said...

Best & Guaranteed Crypto Recovery Hacker Recovery Masters

My experience of online scamming took seconds and cost me thousands. I was fooled by a YouTube video that convinced me that I could make a killing in Crypto, and the minute I clicked the link and deposited funds, I knew something was up, but it was too late. I worked with RECOVERY MASTERS, and they were so helpful and supportive, and in the end, after 4 days, I finally got almost all of the money back. It wouldn't have been possible for me to meet up economically because I almost invested all my money but all thanks to Recovery Master with their genius effort to help me recover my already stolen currency. Please ensure also to consult: Recovery Master via email: (recoverymasters@email.cz)